11/27/2004

50,000 years messes EVERYTHING up

I consider myself somewhat of a deep-thinking Christian. What I mean is that I most often don't take things at face value. I hear a sermon, I have to think about it. I hear an arguement as to why hymns suck and praise and worship songs are the ONLY way to go . . . I have to mull that over in my head. I also have a Bachelor of Science degree which means I've heard a whole lot of science in my time.

And then I watch the news.

CNN reported today about an archaeological site in South Carolina, currently being excavated by a USC team that potentially tears down all of the currently held beliefs and/or theories regarding human immigration (particulary into the Americas).

Basically, what they're saying is that (should this be TRUE) there is proof that there were human inhabitants in America 30,000-35,000 years before anyone else really thought they were here. The long-held belief is that indigenous peoples came from eastern Asia into what is now Alaska and through the Americas from there during the last Ice Age (about 17,000 years ago).

Now, if there were people here 50,000 years ago this WHOLE theory goes out the window which means Anthropologists and other -ologists have to refine what is currently understood to be true.

What does all this mean? Well, couple of things. Science requires as much faith as religion: it is built on concepts that are unproven, that are assumed to be true based on what evidence we currently have. Sometimes new truths require an alteration of our foundations, which changes whatever structure has been built ON that foundation.

Secondly, there could be an explosion of new studies into human population (verb, in this case) of the Americas. If you're into that, it's very cool.

I'm glad that my foundation doesn't need to change. I'm glad that Christ never changes, never fails, never becomes the center of debate with anybody in my field!

Now, don't even give my that 4,000 year old earth thing . . .

Grace.

No comments: