11/23/2004

Youth Specialties #3

My first piece of advice . . . check out http://www.skitguys.com. Funniest people on the planet.

Today was another crazy day . . . i laughed, i cried, i ate chick-fil-a.

Now i'm almost ready to go to sleep, but I'm watching Larry King Live on CNN and Rick Warren (as in the purpose driven pastor of purpose driven life) is being interviewed and is fielding call-in quesitons. It's the first time I've seen him and I'm not surprised. He looks like a pastor (actually he looks like a senior pastor that used to be a youth pastor - goatee, slightly balding, slighty expanding in the horizontal plane).

I've had a problem with him . . . no, i've had a problem with the obvious commercialization of "Christian" books. He seems nice and all . . . a little side-stepping of questions going on, and Larry King (of the Jewish persuasion) is GRILLING him quite intensely . . . 'So what you're saying is that the Jew isn't going to Heaven?'

Not that any of this has to do with my experience at youth specialties.

The truth is defending your faith is potentially incredibly challenging, because of the battleground, the context. The culture we live in has a picture of the evangelical as the far right-wing pompous word i'd LIKE to say here. On national television, no less. So I'm forced to applaud the Rev. Rick.

Which I don't like doing, but I'm never quite sure why.

In any case, I get to see my wife tomorrow, so I'm pretty stoked about that. Youth Specialties taught me a lot. Please hold me accountable to it, if you're reading this. Make sure that I'm actually doing something with what I'm learning.

Grace.

2 comments:

KIMISLOVED said...

Hey Des! I wish I could be at YS with you...but that's how things go. Its a little hard to hold you accountable for ALL the things you learn at YS because there is SOOOOOO MUCH! But I will hold you accountable for your entry on how truth is everywhere and we need to not segregate truth and secularism.
One favor...how do you put other bloggers names/links on your own blogspot page? I made a page just so I wouldn't have to sign up anonymously anymore, but it also would be nice to put everyone's link on one page. Let me know when you get a chance.
Peace....yo.

Anonymous said...

Tim!(and now you'll have to explain that to everyone who reads this!) I noticed you had a blog - so I thought I'd check it out...good stuff! Thanks for your thoughts on Atlanta - and thanks for the fun! It was great to laugh with you and Murray.
I look forward to reading more. Oh, and cool points to you for Prayer and the Art of VW Maintenance - great book.
Blessings,
Denise <><