11/06/2004

In Response to Broken and Molded

(Explanation: This post started as a comment on a friends blog - http://brokenandmolded.blogspot.com - but it wouldn't fit . . . so I put it here instead)

OK, so I'm not an American . . . I've been here for just over 2 years, and aside from watching your major networks growing up and knowing a much higher proportion of your states than your brother-in-law knows my provinces and territories, I'm not intimately aware of much in this country.

It gives me a little bit of a unique perspective though, to be following said election without the ability to vote, or reason to take a side, other than that of a concerned Christian. I've been sick of "Christians" saying that you HAVE to vote for Bush . . . I hear him pray and quote scripture but I certainly don't think that that means he's been God ordained to be the leader of the free world. The devil can do the same thing . . . no, I'm not calling Bush the Devil . . . don't even go there.

I'm sick of democrats constantly tearing down republicans without mention of a better way. Recently, it's come out that Kerry took his stand against Gay Marriage at the advice of Bill Clinton, who said that was the only way to court the evangelical vote. Personally, I think Gay Marriage is an important topic that could really benefit from more discussion that blatent disregard.

The other thing that I've noticed is this. Christians who aren't hardcore Bush almost ALWAYS apologize, or clarify their position when talking to other Christians. Example (names have been changed to protect individuals' identity):

Person 1 (American Christian Voter): There's a lot that I don't agree with. I think "this" about "that" and "that" about this . . .

Person 2 (Objective Canadian Observer): Ah yes. I see what you're saying . . . I also think "this" about "that" . . . . I don't know who I would vote for, if that was an option.

Person 1: Now, I'm not saying that I'd vote for Kerry . . .

That's the line I think I've heard around the office more than anything else. "Now, I'm not saying that I'd vote for Kerry." It's been the oddest thing . . . I wish I could tell you how many times I've heard that, and from how many people. Maybe its a genuine thing. Or maybe it's a part of a larger understood sub-cultural ideal. First of all, I don't care how you vote, that's the beauty of freedom. Secondly, don't apologize for having beliefs on a particular issue.

If I WERE able, I still don't know who I'd have voted for. I agree and disagree with various parts of each candidates' platforms.

I applaud you, Ms. Sarah! I think we could all benefit from the gift of an open-er mind . . .

2 comments:

sarah jewett clarke said...

thanks des. it's amazing how little most of the folks i know are willing to discuss politics, unless we all know that we all agree on everything....which rarely happens.

many pull the "not saying i'd vote for kerry" probably for a plethora of reasons. could be any of the following:

a - don't agree with the way bush has handled the presidency thus far, but don't really agree with kerry either. many kerry supporters i know voted for him - not on his merits, but just to vote for someone other than bush

b - are willing to state in the presence of hardcore repulblicans that they may not agree with everything, but unwilling to say "i vote kerry" because of the unbelievable backlash in the salvation army [or whatever] community - everyone talks about "you know, the liberalc - people assume that you are "pro-abortion" or "an advocate of gay marriage" - even if that is not at all what you said. seriously, to identify someone [kerry or anyone else] as pro-abortion is fairly ridiculous....i don't know anyone who is "pro-abortion." i know some that are pro-choice, though, but Christians don't usually distinguish between the two.

anyway. i'm getting pretty tired of the political talk, too. especially since i'm not really making friends by expressing my views. but....i lay it out there, and we'll all move on.

thanks for your input, you non-american. :-) i love y'all. see you tonight.

A. St. said...

Well, Des, I appreciate your non-American opinion as well. I wish I had a way out of voting! Just want to share a glimpse of my view on the "I'm not saying I'll vote for Kerry" issue. It's a tough call among Christians. I don't think I have ever in million years been accused of taking the same side on an issue as my dear mother, however, her long term reply to political matters has been this: "There is a reason the votes are cast by SECRET ballot." My dad actually told me that she has never let him, her husband, in on who she has voted for through the years.I think I have learned this lesson the hard way in this election. I made the mistake of telling some christian friends who I voted for, and it has had a debilitating effect on our friendship, which I am really praying through and trying to mend. I don't think I will tell anyone again. Because I don't need to. What does it help, debating an issue until there is either an explosion or a dramatic exit? All that does in my opinion is distract us from what is important: the love that Jesus Christ has shown us so that we can, in turn, pass on. The Enemy loves us in that state: distracted.

Not defending necessarily the people that say the Kerry thing, but in a sense, I understand their being guarded. So, thanks, Martha, for the lesson. :)

Tell Kristy I said hello!

Love ya, anna