9/02/2004

Throughts on my Foreign-ness OR Incomprehensible Immigration

i feel like a stranger sometimes. Probably has something to do with the fact that i'm stranger than most other people. i'm thousands of miles from home, heavily involved within a sub-culture that is . . . distinct, we'll say - lost in a world all to ourselves. i don't understand the inner workings of US society. Republicans and Democrats confuse me. flags are much more important here than they've ever been to me in the past. Literal flags, i mean . . . i understand their intrinsic value. Realistically, i am less than two years old in my understanding.

i know what you're thinking . . . and yes i AM an advanced two-year old.

If you've never been in a similar situation, i probably sound like a complete moron . . . which is what i meant by the very first line of this post. i feel like a stranger.

i'm still pretty fired up about wanting to change the world. what i'm finding is that i'm:

  1. not in touch with the people that need to be changed
  2. wading through the mediocrity of the church (holistic reference here) that had a vision at one point in its life
  3. a stranger in a strange land.

Granted i usually blame someone else for efforts that i don't make. "It's the army." It's always the army. I am the army. I AM the ARMY. I AM THE FREAKIN' ARMY! Someone doesn't know Jesus, my fault. Guess who's responsible if that homeless guy on the corner (that i'm so skeptical about) goes hungry and dies? It's me. It's not my officer, my church, or the fact that some pain-in-the-butt person at my corps complains to my boss that i didn't have my uniform on this past week in church. It's me.

It's always been me and always will me me. And you.

Anyway, that's a whole lot of stuff that doesn't seem to be very comprehensible now that i re-read it. Beauty of blogging i guess. Sometimes, i don't have to make sense.

Anywho, grace to you all. Prayer needed/wanted, please and thank you .


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed the talk Des. Thanks for being a friend and an example.
Jason

Anonymous said...

Hang in there, Des. The thing that really matters is that you love and fear God, and that He has clearly sent you to this "sub-culture" in a foreign land. Why do you think He did that? You DO make a difference. I don't know what all this "I am the Army" stuff that I keep reading in people's blogs and such is (I am guessing a TYI battle cry?), but I DO know that you make a difference in the lives of people around you. Because of your obedience to God and your love for his people. That's what matters most.

Anonymous said...

I forgot to sign. Didn't mean to remain anonymous. Congrats on your engagement, we are so hapy for you and Kristy. And we miss you guys a lot!
Anna (and Justin)