9/24/2004

Clearing Up

So, i feel like i need to clear some things up . . .

First of all, the point of my post yesterday was not a uniform bash . . . i've bashed it in the past, but i'm coming back around to thinking that, gosh darn it, i'm a soldier . . . the mantra of our latest territorial youth institute, in Oklahoma this year, turned out to be, "I AM THE SALVATION ARMY". And i am . . . what i (and we) make it is what the army will be. We do need to fight and my uniform displays what i represent . . . granted, i rarely see the point of wearing it to church. Harvey's comment from yesterday was that we wear it when we fight. Church is not about fighting, it's about worship (another concept poorly understood by man). i am much more apt to wear it when, as a few weeks ago, we went out into the surrounding neighborhoods and prayed with/for people. i AM a SOLDIER. i WILL FIGHT to the very end, if i have to.

Thing 2: i only rarely don't wear my uniform to tick people off . . . admittedly, when i'm feeling particularly fiendish, i will choose not to wear it, just to get a rise out of people.

Thing 3: the POINT of my post, that I really wanted everyone to get was that i'm ticked off when people have a problem with me and don't come to me about it. AND the people that really tick me off in that regard will NEVER read this post & blog, i don't think . . . but if they do . . . PLEASE either tell me what your problem is, OR prepare for me to ask you.

For my Sally Friends . . . YOU ARE THE ARMY . . . forget about 'the man' and get out on the battle field. Be an army Delta Force (can't tell ya, or i'd have to kill ya). In the US, my favorite
Army quote has been, "Most people don't know that The Salvation Army is a church . . . and it's OUR fault." (Major Allan Hoffer, ATL Temple). That probably doesn't work so well in Newfoundland, but the rest of Canada and definitely here. If people in my neighborhood aren't aware of what the army is . . . guess what? There may only be ONE representative of the army in MY neighborhood, and it might just be ME!


Don't blame the Army unless you're prepared to take the blame and do something about it.

Grace All . . . . consider this a lesson learned by me the hard way and passed on to you the easy way. Maybe I'll post something else a little more fun too . . . even out the drama.