8/24/2006

will

Growing up in the church I always seemed to get into discussions about God's will. Maybe, during the hay day of my church life as a college student in Newfoundland that's what there was to talk about. Maybe as a Christian college student in general that's where my attention was. Not only did I want to be found in God's will but I wanted to see and understand the difference between God's perfect and His permissive will. I wanted to know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I was doing exactly what God would have me do.

Of course, I also wanted to know if it even mattered or if predestination already had my life charted for me.

I don't know if, for all the talking, I ever did figure it out. I don't know if I'm any closer to the answer. Perhaps I just haven't done well so far at seeing all the puzzle pieces fitting together. Maybe I don't understand where God's will fits in with having life more abundantly or with suffering for Jesus or if suffering is indeed having life more abundantly. Certainly I don't ever remember reading a promise that I'd be happy or safe, except to read that God cares for those who trust in him and that he would never let the righteous fall.

All that to say that I really don't want to get into a big discuss over this whole thing. I've talked enough . . . you know? But I haven't yet figured out the connection of happiness and/or contentment (since those two things aren't the same) and doing what God wants me to do. Does being happy and/or content mean that you're doing what God wants you to do? How complex is God's "plan" for us? Is it every day is planned out or "As long as you love Me and love you neighbour, you can do what you want!"?

Of course, that's purposefully a little on the sacreligious side, just to accentuate my point.

So, at 12:05am, Thursday August 24, that's where i am with I Am.

Grace,

Des

No comments: