1/18/2005

This gets 34 Creativity Points

My wife, for a housewarming gift, bought me a subscription to my favorite magazine on the planet: Mental Floss. It's incredible. It's an all-things-trivial library of goodness. (Aside: my wife is spending the week at a conference in Atlanta . . . sorry if I sound depressed).

Anywho, interesting feature this month . . . the stories behind our favorite inventions (e.g. the Pez dispenser, Ex Lax, the Paper Clip, etc). Ok, remember that for a minute.

You'll probably know that I am quite sick of Christianity's counter-productive attempt to market itself; not that it NEEDS to be marketed, but the image portrayed to the world is not a picture-perfect image of Christ. When we do something 'big', it's generally so tacky and predictable that 'twas a failureth before it had ever begun.

SO, enter the Roller Coaster. The Roller Coaster was first invented by a minister on Coney Island who, appalled at the number of men frequenting the local pubs vs. those frequenting the local places of worship (though I guess a pub really is a place of worship, when you think about it), that he built a contraption that is now recognized as the official beginning of the Roller Coaster. I'll have to consult Mental Floss for the rest of the details, but he built it to lure the men back OUT of the pubs.

For God's sake, can we take a lesson in creativity and lay off the religio-political nonsense? More on religio-political nonsense later.

Grace.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Des, hey, it's Hoosier! I'm on break in Thailand right now, which means that I can finally read some of your blog. The entire Blogspot server is blocked in the city where I live, which is a bummer, but it's good to read some now and see how you're doing. Of course, seeing how I am in Thailand, I'm not exactly dying to sit at a computer and read 49,238 posts from you, so it's a bit ironic that when I have the ability to read your blog, I don't have the desire. Hmm.

Anyway, glad to see you're doing OK, and I'm so happy for you and Kristy. Please give her a hello for me. I'm on Xanga if you're ever interested - username is JenMusic.

Say hi to everyone for me, and please ignore the rambling. Later!