1/11/2005

I Love You More

I've really been thinking more about this "I Love You" idea from my last post. I can't quite figure out where we complicated it. I don't have any one to blame, realistically; we're just continuing a 2000 year-old process. It just seems like whatever we do is tarnished with our own preferences and desires. We pray that all the glory would go to God, but only when something is happening that appeals to our tastes . . . that seems to rob God of the love that he deserves. It's like buying your wife a bowling ball so she'll go bowling with you more often . . . you can explain it away pretty easily by saying, "I just want to spend more time with you, honey." But the reality is that you want to spend the time on YOUR terms.

I'll spend time with you when it's at the bowling alley. Wouldn't that seem to lessen the love that your wife would feel. "C'mon honey . . . come on down to the bowlin' alley and let me show ya some luv."

I'll worship you when the praise band is playing. I'll pray when I'm not so tired. I'll go to church only when the band is on duty.

I love you, Lord.

Grace.

No comments: