12/03/2004

United Church of Christ vs. Southern Baptist Convention

So I'm watching Good Morning America yesterday to see the XXXChurch people. I didn't see them. I don't even know if they were on. It's usually the today show that I watch, so that I was watching Diane Sawyer and crew was odd.

Anywho, about 7:30 or so Diane shows a commercial from the United Church of Christ. It shows a church set-up like a night-club, focusing especially on the bouncer. Different individuals and groups approach the 'velvet rope' (<- Simpsons Fans: Remember this?) and are either allowed in or turned away. It's an interesting concept . . . . it looks like a bunch of normal middle-class American families that are going to church. Now, its especialy more interesting as you see that the people that are turned away are homosexuals and various other people that aren't accepted in the church as being normal. There are only a few words that are flashed up on the screen. They are, "Jesus never turned anyone away." . . . "Neither do we." . . . "The United Church of Christ."

Diane also had some other guests on as well: the communication director for the United Church of Christ, and a Southern Baptists Seminary Professor. A very intereting debate ensued. The Baptist representative basically tore the commercial apart, saying that, "the commercial is in direct opposition of Christian values." He went on to say how in their Baptist congregation, they're all sinners but they're saved by grace; that no matter what people have done, the grace of God saves them all. In the same breath, he condemned homosexuality (which I agree with in principle) and said to accept them into church was unchristian.

The UCC member, however painted a very different picture. He basically said that all are welcome, they the UCC tries to understand the situations people come from, and would invite all to their churches where, at the very least, they can hear the gospel. Perhaps some of them don't realize the Bible's stand on homosexuality (granted, I think the vast majority of Christians don't understand the Bible's stand on homosexuality) or any number of other sins.

I get so SICK of hearing about stuff like this. Churches are dying. Americans are continually falling away from God. And we spend our time arguing whether a particular type and/or class of people are allowed in Church. Personally, I applaud the UCC. Granted, most of the major networks have refused to air the shot due to the controversy. But I like the stand. It's in your face. It's a slap to the other churches in the country. Homosexuals have souls too.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank-you, Desmond Smith, for being an open-minded and enlightened representative of Christ's love. As a gay Christian (yes, we do exist) I want nothing more than to serve my Savior with my entire being. That's hard to do when your so-called brothers and sisters don't want you in the family. My husband and I (yeah, we can do that now too) share a Christ-centered relationship and we want our love to be the example of "gay culture" that America sees - not the filth and promiscuity they see on HBO. Focus on the family?? I couldn't agree more.

You and I could probably sit and debate the rightness or wrongness of homosexuality from a theological perspective for years, but you won't get the opportunity unless I'm welcomed in your church. I hope other Christian bloggers stumble across your post like I did and realize that Christ's message is to love one antoher - and that includes people like me.

Brian J.

Anonymous said...

gMy SBC church allows homosexuals to attend chuch but not to take part in ministries like choir, puppets, missions and etc.. but they are welcome to attend and go to sunday school. Yes homosexually is a sin and church is full of sinners, but something with the nature makes it different I thing to where they cant take part in activities, I get back to this later im go talk to a friend about this who more inform than I am.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much. I've been raised to be a christian - baptist specifically.

However, lately i've been more in line with United Church of Christ. Yes i am a homosexual, but i think its erratic for baptist to JUDGE one's character based on orientation when, last time i checked, no one is perfect. (i.e. God should only judge...right?)

Thank God i'm moving over to UCC.