5/22/2006

Thinking about getting back to Thinking

Admittedly, my thought processes have been slower and/or more sparsely spaced as of late. I think too many gadgets and cool things are getting in the way of me sitting down and thinking about anything not tech related.

But, I have been finding sometime to getting back to reading one of my favorite authors: Brian McLaren. I've touted "Generous Orthodoxy" on this blog many times . . . though, that's not what I'm reading now.

I'm getting back to the "New Kind of Christian" series and am currently enamored with book 2: The Story we Find Ourselves in. The series is a fictional recounting of a series of events in Brian McLaren's life, using fictional representations of real people and events.

Anyway . . . book two has one of the characters, Neo, on the Galapogos Islands with a scientist friend. Now, I'm not much of one for getting into the creation/evolution debate . . . mind you I very much was, especially through my late high school & early college years.

This book, though not blatently so, starts out with that feel . . . but that's not what I'm talking about here . . . just wanted to give you some background.

OK, so part way through Chapter 6 Neo and his scientist friend Kerry get talking about the beginning of time and trying to describe God through language and/or science.

Kerry says, "This talking about God isn't easy, you know?"

Neo's response is incredible . . . "Right" Neo replied. "It's a lot like things in science. Language is the only tool we have, but it keeps getting in the way. So in science, we revert to mathematics. And in theology, we revert to poetry. Mathematics and imagination are two ways of talking about things beyond normal language."

That, alone, is enough to jump start my brain back into deep thought mode - which is long overdue.

Grace,

Des

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Mmmm, thats an awesome quote.