4/05/2006

Sharing One iPhoto Library Among Many Users

I should point out that I paraphrased an article from macosxhints.com in putting this post together. Please dont' think I figured this out by myself . . . the article was written by a guy named, elmimmo.

I don't mean to bore you with tech talk (for those of you who would be bored by tech talk!) - but this is as much for me as it is for anyone else - probably more for me. It's something I had to try to figure out and now, I don't want to forget - so if I ever have to reload my iMac, I can come back to this post and do it all again!
So here goes. My problems was that I could share photos between my account and Kristy's account and the Mac . . . i take that back. I could share them - but in order for her to access mine - I would have to log in, open iPhoto, leave it open, switch back to her account and view the photos that way. They're OUR photos, and I want there to be ONE location.

So this is how you do it:

1. Enable ACL (access control lists) on your system. The command in Terminal is:

sudo fsaclctl -p / -e

2. You'll want to actually MAKE the folder where your pics will be stored. It needs to be accessable by all of the users that will be accessing it. I did it in /Users/Shared . . . and I called the folder - "iPhoto Shared Library." I did it by opening my "Macintosh HD" and simply navigating to the /Users/Shared folder.

3. Add the ACL rule for each user - do THAT by typing THIS in the terminal window:

sudo chmod +a "UserName allow delete,chown,list,search,add_file,add_subdirectory, delete_child,file_inherit,directory_inherit" /Users/Shared/NameofLibrary

All of the items above separated by commas have NO spaces inbetween them. Also, if your Library name has spaces in it, you'll have to put a backslash (\) before each space. Example - my library is called iPhoto Shared Library . . . so I would have to type that as iPhoto\ Shared\ Library. Get it?

Do this for every user that wants to be able to use this library.

4. Log in to each users account and tell iPhoto to use this new library. To do that, hold down "Option" when you start iPhoto - it'll ask you what library to use.

If, like me, you had already loaded pictures into your individual library before realizing that it wasn't easy to share, just COPY (not move) them to the new location . . . then delete them from the original location.

I did it today and it works stupendously. Now, though, only one user can be viewing the library at a time - I'm sure there is a way to make two copies of the library regularly, using automator or something . . . but I'll take the inconvenience of only having one user able to access it over having 2x the amount of disk space used.

That's it.

Grace,

Des

1 comment:

Phil said...

wow. i think i would have just opted to leave iPhoto open.