4/04/2005

Why do I Love?

This morning, I was thinking about some issues I've been having - specifically, still dwelling on the "I love you, Jesus, for what you've done for me" issue that I see in myself and a lot of Christians. I probably won't have much to say about this, but I wanted to share these thoughts from today.

My wife (another person whom I love) often does stuff for me - for example, she often makes dinner, for example. Or she'll buy me little things at the store, or leave me little cards, or vacuum the floor, or whatever. But it's not her actions that make me love her - I don't love her for the fact that she prepares me a meal, or leaves me a card in my suitcase. I love her because of her character that motivates her actions (i.e. I love her that she is thoughtful and caring, not because of broiled chicken or sucking up dirt). It's awesome that she does that stuff - but there's something much deeper behind what I can see.

The very same is true of Christ. We say we love Him and/or praise Him for what He's done for us, for taking away our sins, for giving us life, for blessing us financially (i.e. for him doing and us getting). But he's got some premium characteristics that motivate HIS decisions to shower us with blessing that we tend to ignore substantially. He is the ULTIMATE in caring, the ULTIMATE in salvation (not only to us, but the the world; not only from sin, but from all kinds of bondage), the ULTIMATE in knowledge, and fairness, and loyalty, and every other good and perfect things.

Praise God for His character - not for His actions (as INCREDIBLE as His actions are). Praise HIM not because He has cleaned your house, and not even that he's cleaned the houses of MANY believers. Praise Him because He wants to.

Grace.

No comments: