4/29/2005

Continued Aggression

I've been thinking a little more about aggressive Christianity (by the way, you can get an electronic copy of Catherine Booth's Papers on Aggressive Christianity from http://www.armybarmy.com - it's an interesting read).

Realistically, when I "enlisted" in the Salvation Army, I signed up to be a member of an army, but my agreement doesn't include anything warlike. It says that I have to be faithful to my God, to be very, very, adament about holy living; but it doesn't say much about waring with any one or any thing. It does say that I will make every effort to 'carry on the salvation war' but doesn't really define what that is.

We are enlisting, then, soldiers that aren't required to act like soldiers.

I am confused, then from where this definition should come. Traditionally, we believe it should come from the top down, because the top is where most of the information is. They have the broad picture. I like the style of 'guerilla' spiritual warfare that is sprouting up - and in some places has intensely evolved. It's grass-roots. It's front line. It's got specific information about a couple of things. Extrememly accurate.

This I realize, is rambling on and on.

All I really want to say is that we need Delta Force to be an opportunity to take regular old soldiers and raise the stakes. The Soldiers of the Army are stagnant, but the agreement they made is a little ambiguous about what they should be doing, so they're doing exactly what they agreed to. Delta Force will be something more. Intense, specific, goal-oriented missions. Soldiers will be selected based on passion and will be held accountable to specific agreements.

Delta Force - the proactive (I still hate that word - help me find a synonym that's cool) soldiery of The Salvation Army. The Salvation Army SWAT (special weapons and tactics) team.

More to come.

Grace.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just tried to send an email to you, my friend. I took a stab that maybe your email address is desmond_c_smith@msn.com. Guess not, huh? Anyway, I felt the need to tell you a few things. Unfortunately, it took me a while to type it, so I'm not gonna try to do it all again. If you're interested, though, I've still got a copy of it in my "sent box" of my email account. I can resend it if you send me your correct email address. Granted, you don't know me from Adam, so maybe you'd rather not, but I had some stuff I really wanted to say to you. If you're interested in reading it, my email address is:
csr4242@yahoo.com
I enjoy your journal.