2/20/2005

Hot Chocolate for Charlotte

It was WELL worth the wait. After a week missed, we finally got a chance to hit uptown Charlotte. There were 9 of us. Since we didn’t know what to expect, we went with 75 cups of hot chocolate . . .

They were gone in what was quite possibly less than 15 minutes.

But it was cool. We just showed up at the CATS (Charlotte Area Transit System) bus depot and said, “Hey . . . you want some hot chocolate?” 99% of the people said, “Yes indeed.” It was funny to see how many people asked, “Is it free?” A lot of people at the bus depot were hospital workers. Many were homeless. Or at least foodless.

But the question remained, what do we do now that we’re out of hot chocolate and it only took 15 minutes. Thankfully, Wendy’s has a dollar menu. So, just over $26 can get 25 Jr. Bacon Cheeseburgers. We split ‘em up between two cars and drove around the uptown area giving them out to random people on the street. They were all grateful. You can read more at http://charminultra.blogspot.com (As soon as I get it posted).

Other than that, life is good. I’m about to write an article for the Southern Spirit. Don’t worry: I’m going to be very diplomatic in my response. I have a new cousin; brings the count to about 2.5 million or so.

My thoughts on worship continue to grow and develop. Kristy is reading a great book, called Teaching Kids Authentic Worship. I think all adults should read it too. I haven’t yet. But from what she tells me, I’m definitely next in line. My favorite bit so far has been the idea that worship is telling God how great He is without referring to yourself in anyway. So you can say things like, “Thank you for blessing ME”; or “I love You so much”; or “You are MY wonderful Savior”. You should give it a shot, it’s pretty tough. I’ll let you know how much I REALLY believe it when I get my hands on that book.

Grace all.

5 comments:

Daniel said...

Des: I had quite a different experience giving out the hamburgers... but nonetheless, it was still awesome and I can't wait to do it again- hopefully this weekend!

By the way, here's my blogspot (http://dcsimmons.blogspot.com/) for you and anyone else who reads these. I commented on our experience last night as well. Peace!

Daniel Simmons

jill said...

Hey Desmond! Kristy gave me your e-mail address, but I can't find it and I didn't know how else to contact you so I decided to write on your blog! Aren't I clever:P Anyway, I am trying to get my hands on an application for Walter Johnson staff...any chance you can help me? If you can, that would be awesome! You can just leave a message in my blog! :P (www.princessoftheking.blogspot.com) Hope things are swell...ttyl!

jill said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
jill said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kathy said...

Hey Des,
That's awesome. We'll be praying for that ministry.
-Kathy