2/07/2005

Heart to God . . .

In the bible study group that I'm a part of, we've recently been tackling the idea of tithing. We don't agree with it, or, we don't agree with how it has been presented in our collective forevers. We think it's required that you give. The last piece of the puzzle for me is fully understanding how tithes are supposed to be used. If they're to be used for the 'believers' to feast, even in part, then I'm OK with giving to the church, but if they're intended to help other people exclusively, then I really have to reconsider my giving habits.

That's really not what I wanted to mention, but it's important background. I'll talk about what we've come up with more later, if you want me to . . .

Given that we're often concerned with how our money is spent, how it seems that help never reaches those who need it, AND REALIZING THAT WE HAVE THE RESPONSIBILITY TO TAKE INITIATIVE OURSELVES TO SPREAD SOME GOD-STYLE LOVE, that's what we're going to do. Next sunday night we hit the streets of Charlotte with hot drinks and blankets and whatever else we can find that people may need. It's as much for us to learn what the needs are as much as it is for the people that we may help.

We'll see. So please pray for us and that we would be found in the will of God.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Heart to God... hand to man." Enter the Salvation Army :) Good luck on your adventure next Sunday... I'll pray for you guys!