8/05/2004

What Psalm 91 Means to me

i've always considered myself to be pretty smart, even intelligent. "But believing doesn't make it so!" You say. i agree. Often (much MORe often than not, lately), GOD smacks me in the face with a new understanding of a very old truth that i've misunderstood or ignored or rejected.

i'll back-pedal. Right now, i find myself at Camp Heart O' Hills, in Oklahoma. It's a camp that is run by The Salvation Army where there have engathered somewhere near 300 people for Territorial Youth Institute. It's basically a big youth conference for Salvationists (christians who are salvation army soldiers) all over the south-eastern US. Stephen Court and Danielle Strickland (
www.armybarmy.com) are the guests for the week. In worship yesterday, they introduced the concept of 'Praying the Bible'. As you've probably guessed, to pray the bible is essentially saying the words of the bible in prayer to GOD.

For Example: Psalm 91 - "He who dwells in the shadow of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. i will say of the Lord, 'He is my refuge and my fortress, my GOD in whom i trust.'"
Collectively we prayed this prayer. Incidentally, this also happened to be the passage that GOD used to break me into pieces today. Without eating up this post with my history, just know that i have tried to find 'refuge' in some other places before GOD. i've just felt bombarded with stuff that i don't need and haven't really asked GOD for protection. Until today. Today, as i wept, i understood what it meant to have GOD be my refuge.

The passage goes on to say that "If you make the Most High your dwelling . . . then no harm will befall you. You will tread upon the lion and the cobra." (Verses 9 & 13). Why don't we just go to HIM? First? He promised me protection for as long as i've been old enough to read the bible! The 'lions' and 'cobras' that have hunted me down like prey, i can stomp under my feet if i make the Most High my dwelling (i.e. If i trust HIM, i won't be consumed with evil!).

Thanks God for helping me understand you a little more today.

It's been a good day. i can't wait to see the whole picture that GOD has been painting. Perhaps then it will all make sense.

There is still so much in my life that i need to clean out; there is so much thought that i really have to re-evaluate. i've realized today how bitter i have become at my church rather than taken ownership of it and trying to make an impact from the inside out. i've realized how much that GOD wants to use us, but how easily we get tangled up in satan's lies and distractions.

GOD continues to amaze me. Even when i've not been able to make much sense out of my relationship with HIM, HE at least has been a real friend.

There's so much that i want to say . . . i mean, type. But no one even knows about my BLOG yet? i'll have much more to come i'm sure.

"Because he loves me," Says the Lord, "I will rescue Him."


No comments: