8/22/2005

Jesus' Burden

We always quote the verse, "Come unto me . . . and I will give you rest." Jesus said that, in Matthew 11. It's great and gives us peace. It even says, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."

Problem is, as with most things, we stop there because we have all the comfort we need in those few words.

But Jesus goes on and says, "Take my yoke upon you (ie be harnassed up like oxen), and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

Here's your comfort - let me take your burden and I'll replace it with a burden, albeit a MUCH lighter burden. But if you let me guide you (ie like a farmer guides an animal) you'll have rest.

He doesn't just take away all your burden - He gives you more.

But it's different. And we should take responsibility for it.

Grace.

3 comments:

Kathy said...

Sorry to hear about Daphne. She was a pretty girl and she was blessed to live with you and Kristy.

Adam D. Hunt said...

Thanks for sharing this...

Sandra Pike said...

I love how you explained this...it is very true. I was looking for a similarity between the burden I feel sometimes with never saying NO to any burdens that Christ had ever felt. I came across your article. Thanks!