10/05/2007

Goofy Snoopy

Before I begin - yes, I recognize that this post may be dangerous.

So does anyone besides me feel that hip hop is finally getting goofy? Now, I'm not anti-hip-hop by any means. Yes, there are horrible messages in some hip hop, perhaps the majority of hip hop, but I also try to recognize the good in everything as much as I can. It's had a long run too - It started when I was kid - I'm 27 now. That's a long time!!!

But tonight, the reigning godfather of Hip Hop, Cordozar Calvin Broadus, Jr. (aka Snoop Dog) was on Conan O'Brian. In fact, he JUST finished his schtick as I write this. Perhaps it was the context. Conan isn't necessarily the best complement to the hip hip scene.

I felt kind of sad. Here was this 37 year old man talking about "burnin' a blunt" and selling merchandise named Snoop This and Snoop that. It just felt wrong. So I'm trying to fgure out if this is indicative of Snoop and/or Hip Hop becoming goofy or me getting old.

Both?

Sometimes I forget that Snoop and people like him are entertainers and for whatever reason we find the gang-bangin', blunt burnin' rapper worthy to throw millions of dollars at. Sometimes I forget that it's all an act (or at least, I hope it is) and that he's a father that wants to raise his kid well. Is it like the circus? Circus families pass the family act along to the kids. Does Snoop invite the kid into the dog house?

What's more interesting is that this was during Conan - perhaps the goofiest man on TV right now. And Snoop seemed goofy even compared to the C-izzle. It really seemed like Conan was trying to find something worthwhile to chat about.

I don't want to be 37 and feel like I haven't accomplished anything. I have no desire to sell a Snoop de Grille (Snoopy-themed BBQ) or a Snoop de Ville (Snoopy themed Cadillac). If, Lord willing, I ever find myself sitting across from Conan I want to be able to talk about something of value.

And I don't want it to be goofy.

Grace,

Des

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I think I would have to agree with you completely...