12/04/2006

Around the World in 1 Daze

Has anyone else realized how little they know about what's going on in the world?

I have realized recently that I know heresy about what is going on in a few countries. I've heard that the Sudan has some horrible ongoing atrocities and that Rwanda is still going through some civil war. But I am inside a box that has very little input about what is going on outside that box.

My realization started from a tech netcast where some video guys were discussing the new launch of Al Jazeera English and about, even though it won't take off in the U.S. for obvious reasons, the international coverage and scope is absolutely incredible. They also started talking about the BBC and their world coverage.

There is so much out there that I don't know.

For example:

Oh, and did anyone know that there was about 1,000 dead in the Phillipines after a typhoon passed through?

This really bothered me . . . the fact that there's so much that I wasn't aware of. Not because I thought I should know . . . but because I thought I SHOULD be concerned enough to know. My concern should be global. Being global-centric is the complete an total opposite of self-centric . . . is it not?

Hmmmmm.

Grace,

Des

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Happy Birthday, Desmond!!

May your day be merry and bright!!

Johnny said...

Hey, It's Desmond's Birthday!

Happy first naked, hungry, cuddled, and traumatized day, Desmond.

Johnny

Anonymous said...

pass by this place and just want to say hi and happy birthday:)