2/10/2006

My Favorite People

There are many Christians that would make the most devout of us run wildly, limbs flailing, from the most inviting church. I just read so much and hear so much and it's so discouraging. We all fight with one another, and yet we want others to join the family. When Jesus gave us the "Keys to the Kingdom" but giving us authority to "bind and loose," I've gotta believe that He knew exactly what he was doing . . . but boy does it make for an interesting "body" with which to work.

On the other hand, tonight I met an old, possibly drunk, man named "Chuck." Apparently, he hides his whisky in the bushes when he comes in the church building. I played two games of pool against him and . . . well . . . he schooled me. He said that he went into a bar one time with 15 cents and came out with 800 bucks. He even showed me some trick shots that I will never be able to duplicate in a million years of trying.

I liked him a lot.

I liked him because he knew he was good but pretended like he wasn't . . . but not in that condescending kind of way. And he smelled of some kind of ethanol.

Myself, I, too often, try to be a know-it-all. For some reason, I think I have all the answers . . . . but more and more, I realize I do not.

Anywho . . . I know this isn't making a whole lot of sense to a whole lot of people.

Grace,

Des

2 comments:

Kathy said...

I love experiences like that. Makes me more aware of the fact that angels roam the earth.

Tammy Williams said...

Hey Desmond! I saw your blogsite on MSN and thought I would add you to my list. I know exactly what you are talking about with this man. When I did street ministry in Edmonton there was a similar man who taught me so much about scrabble! It is those people that open our eyes to God's promise of love.
Take Care,
Tammy