9/21/2005

The 30-Something Dilemma

I have always heard that the biggest controversies in the church don't come the old people vs. young people debate. I never believed that. It has to be that debate doesn't it? What else in the whole of the church is more controversial? Where else can all of these issues come from?

Pastor friends of mine, intellectual authors that I've never met (though I've read their books) have told me that the source of the biggest controversies in the church come from the up and comers, the not quite boomers. They're the 30 (plus or minus) somethings that feel that because they are the biggest contributors of resources and especially intellectual time and resources that they should have the ultimate say.

That freaks me out. I never believed that until now - because I'm beginning to see it. It makes me laugh - though uncomfortably because it's so sad at the same time.

All this means that I will (if not already) find myself in the center of the controversy very shortly. I don't know - I think I just want to worship really.

Isn't that what we all want to do?

Grace.

No comments: