12/12/2005

Be All that You can Be

I'm still listening to Rob Bell and still being blown away. The teaching that I mentioned before is called (something like) "Covered in the Dust." It really is amazing - I'm passively looking for a way that I can share it with you, but until I do, all I can really do is just tell you about it.

For whatever reason, I've never clued in to the fact that I need to understand Jesus in much the same way that people of the day, or at the very least the gospel writers, need to understand him. His disciples saw him as a Rabbi - the Rabbi was the center of the community. According to Bell, it was the Harvard or the Yale to study under a powerful Rabbi.

What we need to remember is that all of Jesus' disciples were chosen from vocations, called from the family trade. The practical part of all this means that they were most likely rejected by another Rabbi - they were trained in the practial Jewish Education traditions and then were told by another Rabbi that you couldn't do "it" so go back and learn to work with your father or a family relative.

The JESUS comes along and says, "I (an up-and-coming powerful Rabbi) think you are worthy to be my follower. I want to train you; I want you to learn to be like me!"

That was the greatest thing that you could be - a student of a powerful Rabbi. Not only that, Jesus selected those that were otherwise rejected and renewed them, redeemed them, essentially. Jesus, as Rabbi, wanted His teachings to be carried on LONG after his death, and selected students that He knew could do that.

He selected a band of rejects on which to build his Church.

There is still hope.

Grace.

Des

1 comment:

Fairy Tales and Fireflies said...

Hey Desmond,

I've just recently understood what you just described through another pastor (not Bell). One of the things he pointed out was that a Rabbi's teaching was often called his yoke. This meant so much to me in light of the verse, "Come unto me all ye who labor and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. TAKE MY YOKE UPON YOU AND LEARN FROM ME FOR ITS EASY AND MY BURDEN IS LIGHT." I never realized that the yoke Jesus was talking about was his teaching and that it's easy and his burden is light. We make it so difficult sometimes but all he really wants us to do is learn from him - over and over again. I think that's a pretty reassuring desire from the Lord.

Thanks for your post. I was blessed.
Joy